My memory foam mattress topper keeps slipping off the bed.

Williams Loft Memory Foam Mattress TopperHi, i used to use a memory foam mattress topper, but i didn’t like it because it kept slipping off the bed. I gave it away. But now it seems like my sleep is not as good so I kind of miss it. How do I get a topper that will stay in place?

- Georgette

Hello,

Some memory foam toppers have a quilted cover (not removable), usually polyester. If you put this over a mattress with a quilted polyester cover, then it’s a slick combination, and the topper will slide around.

Many memory foam mattress toppers have a zip off velour cover which is less slick than the quilted polyester cover. It won’t slip around as much, but a little bit.

The best solution is to purchase just the foam, a memory foam mattress topper without any cover. You can place this directly on top of your mattress and cover it with a fitted sheet, mattress pad, or mattress protector. Then, in my experience, it won’t slip around, regardless of what type of cover your mattress has.

A big advantage to using a foam topper without a cover is that it performs a little better. Ideally we should sleep directly on the memory foam surface for the best in body conforming, pressure relieving functionality. But to keep the topper clean, and provide a more pleasant texture for our skin, we cover the foam with fitted sheet and / or pad.

20 thoughts on “My memory foam mattress topper keeps slipping off the bed.

1. Liz

This blog is kind of misleading–
    I (and a friend of mine) have the 2+inch (its between 2 and 3″ I think) memory foam mattress topper, we both just happened to buy them at Costco a few months apart, and we Both use them in our trailer houses.
    We both like the comfort of the pad BUT….. Every other morning I (every morning for her) Have to pull the pad up. It is really a pain! The last few camping trips I have had to have my husband help me do it.

I have a fitted sheet over it but it wiggles down anyway. It fit the bed perfect when I got it and I suppose it still does, but when I pull it up there is about 6 or 7 inches extra at the top.
    I have read about the rubber type things you line cupboards with and am going to try that next trip out.
    I don’t think sewing a few stitches would work, I think the pad would rip. The Velcro idea is good to and I may try that.

My friend and I were on our first camping trip together this week-end and got to talking about this problem, I told her I would look on line for a solution.
    Was Really hoping for better suggestions here.

2. Charlotte

Have fought with this problem and got tired of it. I love the pad but got tired of having it slipping and sliding. Got a package of BIG safety pins and pinned the cloth cover of the pad to the piping around the mattress, using two pins together every foot or so all the way around, pointy-end down. I used enough pins to make sure there wasn’t a lot of stress on any one pin. With the contour sheet on, they’re invisible and the pad is as firmly in place as if it were sewn.

3. marian

For Liz – don’t waste your money on the rug grippers or the cabinet liners….they roll and slide when the topper does and then you have a knot of them under your comfortable topper. The safety pin idea is ambitious but I am about ready to try anything. What I would love is a mattress pad that is large enough to fit over the mattress and topper as one unit but that still may not work. I am going to remove my cover and place it directly on the mattress as suggested and see if that works.

4. Sharon

So far has the pins worked? I am skeptical for I am thinking it might rip the memory foam? Anyone out there have any other suggestions? I am older and have such a difficult time with it?

5. Sharon

OMGosh, Just read duct tape, I have to try that, Duct tape is the King of tapes. I think I shall try a triangle tape of the corners. Will be back to review

6. TIm

I used bungie cords on two of the corners and it has worked great. I wrapped the cords under the mattress and over a corner of the pad and the pad hasn’t moved. It’s cheap and easy!

7. Gloria M.

Thanks for all the suggestionas. The rubber shelf liner doesn’t work. And a mattress sack (encasement) doesn’t work either. I bought a sealy 4 0r either a 5 inch memory foam topper and I really love it. it is so comfortable. I was trying to keep from buying a new mattress set. It helps alot.
    The sliding is the only thing that really aggrivates me. I am going to try the bungie cords next and if that doesn’t work then the duct tape.
    thanks. this has helped me alot.
    Gloria M.

8. Pingback: Mattress Pads And Toppers - How can we beautify your pillows, comforters, bed covers, sofas and beds? Get the collection, tips and guidance from our - Comforter Sets Queen | Black And White Bedding | Decorative Pillows for Couch

9. Pingback: Your Questions About Open Spring Mattress | Sleep Mattress Guide

10. Pingback: Your Questions About Open Spring Mattress | Sleep Mattress Guide

11. Cheryl

I thought about the bungee cords, I think itsworth a try. Cn you imagine that such a small thing could be such a pain! I wake up and constantly have to slide the pad in place.
    Thanks

12. remy

I did the bungee cords for a bit but they make the mattress top look like crap because you can see it pulling noticeable on the 4 corners. just looks tacky. mine does have the cover over the foam like this article suggests so I’m going to try taking off the cover and giving that a go. I will report back on the progress. if this doesn’t work I’m going to have to try the duct tape as a last resort before throwing it out the window!

13. SondheimFan

Have the same problem even though my topper came without a case. The topper probably stays on longer than it would otherwise but it still shifts to one side all the time (the side I get in and out of bed on). I have used a mattress cover on top of it that wraps completely around and under the mattress sides but it doesn’t hold it in place and just makes it more difficult to re-align the topper. Major pain. The comfort of the topper is great but the need to realign all the time takes away a lot of the love. The giant safety pin approach sounds useful – I assumed the idea was to pin the cover to the topper down, not the topper itself – but sounds like it requires a lot of strength to do and where would I get safety pins like that?

I was hoping there might be some kind of spray you could use on the back of the topper to get it to stay and was looking to get some recommendations as I don’t want to ruin the topper using the wrong stuff. Or maybe a sheet of rubber between mattress and topper held on with those clips to hold sheets in place that look like old fashioned stocking garters? Or the rubberized shelf liners strapped down with duct tape? Or moving straps that have had some of that rubberized gripper stuff you put on shop tool handles slathered on them wrapped around the mattress?

14. SondheimFan

OK: I knew I should have looked around the web more first before posting earlier: here’s a promising one I just found that I should have thought of myself: use a rubberized RUG gripping pad (the kind you put under an area rug so it doesn’t slide around on the floor and make people slip on it), not a shelf liner. Rug pads are big, sturdy and are designed to do exactly what is desired. You can just buy one that is at least as big as your mattress, cutting it to size if needed. Then I would secure the rug pad to the mattress ) using whatever works best for you: duct tape, bungee cords, safety pins, or hand-sewing using canvas needles and sail thread (the last two applied to the mattress’ corded edging not the mattress itself).

15. SondheimFan

UPDATE: The rubberized mesh type of rug pad is designed for use under rugs on hardwood floors. There are also non-slip rug pads designed for use on top of carpet that might work better. They are a felt-type product and are considerably more expensive. One company will custom cut the pad for you if needed.

16. SondheimFan

UPDATE …and then there’s the padding material professional carpet layers use under wall-to-wall carpeting, if you can get a scrap piece.